You will be taught by Alan McGovern, a skilled cabinet maker with over 35 years of experience and, with only two students on the course at any one time, tuition is intensive.
You will be taught basic skills, including how to:
- Season timber and make a cutting list
- Sharpen a plane/chisel
- Hand plane a piece of wood
- Top planing and jointing techniques
- Make hand-cut mortise and tenon joints
- Machine-cut mortise and tenon joints
- Make hand-cut dovetail joints
- Make mouldings by hand with a moulding plane and then by using a table router
- Make tongue and groove joints and how to use the Japanese peg system/Miller dowel system
- Make tapered legs
- Fix a table top to the carcass allowing for wood movement
Your course project will be to design and build a hardwood table with a size restriction of 1500mm long x 500mm deep x 800mm high. In addition to a bank of new skills, you’ll take your unique table design home with you!
At any one time we take a maximum of two intermediate students, so it is advisable to book your place well in advance.