You will be taught by Alan McGovern, a skilled cabinet maker with over 35 years of experience, and Fiona Gilfillan, a past graduate of the School’s Professional Course. With only two students per tutor at any one time, tuition is intensive.
You will be taught skills as required by your design, including how to:
- Lay out your design and make a cutting list from it
- Use workshop machinery such as a table saw, planer, bandsaw, mitre saw and router to machine your materials
- Make wood joints by hand and using machines
- Sharpen hand tools where used
- Make mouldings using a table touter
- Make tapered legs
- Build your piece allowing for wood movement
- Time permitting, you may make other small pieces such as a small box or a veneered panel using other bench skills learned on the course
Your course project will be to design and build a hardwood table with a size restriction of 1500mm long x 500mm deep x 800mm high. In addition to a bank of new skills, you’ll take your unique table design home with you!